upgrade queries

Forgive me for reintroducing a topic which has probably been done to
death on the list in recent months, but I had to unsubscribe for most
of the summer-months and haven't seem recent postings.

I'm currently running Debian 1.3. I have the 2.0 binary CD and also
the CD_autoup.sh script written by Craig Sanders. I'm hesitating about
the upgrade though and I was wondering if someone could take the time
to answer two questions:

  1. What improvement in performance (or kinds of improvement) should
     I expect to notice?

  2. I have in /usr/local a number of non-debian programs that I use a
     lot and that I'm very attached to (xv, rv_player). What are the
     chances that they would be broken because of the library upgrade?

Thanks very much for any help or advice,

Jim McCloskey