bash shell prompt

Hi,

On Hamm, if I login as root or while logged in as myself do a "su"
then my shell prompt shows the host and current directory.

When I am logged in as myself my prompt is just a $

I much prefer to see the current directory in my prompt. So how do
I change it?

My guess was that the .bashrc in my home directory needed the
same PS1 environment as the .bashrc in the root directory so I
added

export PS1='\h:\w\$ '

but this does not solve the problem UNLESS I login as myself and
then type

bash

at which point the prompt changes.

So I seem to have the right environment variable but do I need to
put it in a different file or what?

Thanks

Dave

Dave Warnock