Re: Mouse Fatality in X-Windows

Midgley John wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm just getting started with Linux, and I've had several goes at
> installing the Debian 2.0 distribution. I'm getting tanatalisingly close
> to a working X-Windows installation - much video card clicking and
> flashing - but it objects to a line in the XF86Config file which says
> '/dev/mouse'.

use /dev/psaux in your XF86Config or make /dev/mouse a symlink to it:

ln -sf /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

you can double check what we say by issuing dmesg | less and seeing a
line (around the 15th) which says:
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
(or "dmesg | grep aux" if you are lazy).
Cheers Bob
--
Robert J. Alexander <rja@raleigh.ibm.com>
AIX Certified System Administrator - Debian Linux addict - Win.\* victim