Can only PING ppp peer (is resolv.conf incorrect?)

I have my pppd chatscript working correctly so I can now log into my ISP.  I can ping the other computer on the ppp.  That is the second address that appears on the ppp0 section of the ifconfig a.k.a. the remote IP address (which I note is always the same and ends with a 255.
Here are some the key clues
* I can communicate with this ISP from my windows 95 machine at work - or this email wouldn't go anywhere
* I have a dynamic IP address
* I have no network card i.e. no local network
* The DNS entries for the TCP/IP settings on my Windows 95 machine are identical to my resolv.conf nameserver entries.
* I have tried resolv.conf both with and without the line "domain frii.com"  - it makes no difference
* I have tried resolv.conf both with and without the line "search ."
* My windows 95 machine has the "Use IP Header compression" and "Use default gateway on remote network".  (I noticed that the remote IP address from the ifconfig pp0 response is always the same and ends with 255, I can always ping this address.
* I checked the nameserver entries in resolv.conf again.  I then wrote them down on another sheet of paper and compared them again 10 minutes later; then I wrote them down again backwards, reversed the order again and compared them the next day THEY ARE CORRECT.
* I cannot ping anything else I tried - attempts to ping the nameserver IP addresses results in 100% packet loss.  Attempts to ping a name (like frii.com or sunsite.unc.edu) result in nothing happening.
The ppp-HOWTO says the odds are my resolv.conf or some other network configuration is wrong, but I don't know what it could be?  Could it be one of the entries in the ppp-options file?  The contents of my resolv.conf are:

nameserver 208.146.240.1
nameserver 208.146.240.2

(At times I have also had "domain frii.com" and "search ." as lines in this file)
All my other network configuration files are very simply I usually only have the line for the loopback address ( It's either 127.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 - I can't remember)

When I use the route -n command the results are just as the Debian User's Guide says they should be.

Does anyone know what the problem is or what steps I can take to further investigate the issue?
-Thank You,
Chip Grandits