Re: Netscape mail settings

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Brian Morgan wrote:

> Thanks to all who have helped me thusfar:
>
> A few questions about netscape's settings:
>
> 1.    I can send mail, using debian.greenville.edu as my "outgoing mail
> (SMTP) server" (debian is the host name for my debian system), and
> others receive it fine.  However, when I try to receive mail using the
> same server name, I get the message "Netscape's network connection was
> refused by the server:  debian.greenville.edu"
>
> There are 3 server types to choose from in the mail settings,
>     1.    Pop 3 (default)
>     2.    Movemail application
>     3.    IMAP 4
> I am using Pop 3, the default.  Is this correct?  Is there anything I
> need to do to my debian box to get pop3 services running?  Anything else
> I need to configure?

That should be correct.. are you sure you are using the right server? they
might have a special mail server as many ISPs do.. (ex:
mail.greenville.edu). Also, if it is the incorrect protocol you'll want to
talk to the admin of the box and find out which one is. Most systems use
POP3 but you occasionally will find an IMAP system. Talk to your sysadmin.

One thing I noticed before sending this mail... Is this YOUR debian
system you are talking about? If so... make sure you are running the POP3
daemon. You can do this by checking /etc/inetd.conf and looking for the
line starting with pop3. I would suggest pop3 over any other protocol such
as IMAP because it is less exploitable and more widely used IMHO.

> 2.    All of my icons in netscape are black and white.  Is this normal?
> I've seen versions for FreeBSD that are in full color.  Am I doing
> something wrong?

My guess would be that you are running X in 8 bpp mode, so netscape isnt
getting enough colors to display them properly. I would suggest
moving up to at least 16 bpp. To change this edit /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
and in the serverargs variable put "-bpp 16". Also, could you send me
those icons? :)

> 3.    The only way for me to run netscape is by typing in the full path
> in xterm:  /usr/local/netscape/netscape.  I'm running afterstep, and
> cannot get any of the graphical shortcuts to work for it, either via the
> debian-apps-net menu, or through the built in button that came with
> afterstep.  Can someone help me configure theses paths to point to the
> correct netscape location?

I would love to help you out here, but all I can tell you is that you need
to edit AfterStep's configuration files to point to the right location of
netscape. Either that or you could put /usr/local/netscape in your path
:)

I hope some of this helps.

.-
Brian Weiss (fudd@efnet)