Re: apache_1.1.3-6 preinstall script giving errors

"LeRoy D. Cressy" <ldc@netaxs.com> writes:

> Douglas Bates wrote:
> >
> > I was having trouble installing apache_1.1.3-6 on a bo machine that
> > had an earlier apache (1.0.x) installed.  I kept getting an error in
> > the pre-installation script.  I thought it was because of the previous
> > version so I removed the previous version.  Now I still can't get
> > 1.1.3-6 to install and I don't have the earlier one.  Here is all I get.
> >
> >  arcola# dpkg -i apache_1.1.3-6.deb
> >  (Reading database ... 22196 files and directories currently installed.)
> >  Unpacking apache (from apache_1.1.3-6.deb) ...
> >  dpkg: error processing apache_1.1.3-6.deb (--install):
> >   subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
> >  Errors were encountered while processing:
> >   apache_1.1.3-6.deb
> >
> > I would appreciate any advice.  I was trying to help my friend with
> > his system and now I have left him without a functioning apache on a
> > system that is supposed to be serving web pages to the world.
>
> There are a couple of things that you might do.  The easiest
> course is:
>
> dpkg --info apache_1.1.3-6.deb  This will tell you what dependencies the
>                                 package requires along with version
> required
>                                 of some packages.
>
> Then check what versions of the required dependant packages that you
> have with:
>
> dpkg -s packagename

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did check the packages and everything
that is explicitly required seems to be in place.

> If you have the required packages along with the proper version numbers,
> then
> you might want to look at the install script in /var/lib/dpkg/info/
> This will
> tell you where possibly the error is hanging.  If there is a problem
> with the
> install script, fill out a bug report along with your fix.

The problem is that because the pre-install script doesn't finish
successfully, the scripts aren't copied into /var/lib/dpkg/info.  I
have to extract them with ar and tar.

I did so and ran the preinst script by hand as
 /bin/sh -v preinst install
It stopped after

wwwdata="`2>/dev/null grep '^www-data:' /etc/passwd`"
2>/dev/null grep '^www-data:' /etc/passwd
arcola# echo $?
1

Currently there is no www-data login in /etc/passwd.

Johnie - do you have any ideas?
--
Douglas Bates                            bates@stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598