Package installation via floppy problem

Hi,

I'm a brand new Debian user, and quite the Unix/Linux newbie as well.
Excuse me for presenting a rather archaic problem.

I am attempting to install Debian Linux on a 486sx33 Toshiba laptop. I
have no external CD-ROM, so I've been doing everything through the
somewhat torturous manner of ftp-ing Debian files to a Win95 machine, and
then copying them to floppy and then installing them on my laptop.

I have successfully booted Linux -- no problem there. But I'd like to now
use the dselect program via ftp from the laptop. But there are appear to
be some packages -- Perl, in particular that will be necessary before I
do that. The Perl package is too large for a floppy. I appear to be stuck.

I suppose I could install Debian on a partition on my Win95 machine and
then use the Debian dpkg split tool to split up the files -- but I'd
really rather not muck around with my main work machine until I feel more
comfortable with what I'm doing. Is there any other way to get large
Debian packages onto my laptop via floppy?

Andrew Leonard
Technology correspondent
Salon Magazine