Re: Learning C

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> 	I guess I could probably RTFM, but there you are. I know basic C,
> and I'd like to get used to using libraries. Debian (Linux, generally)
> being what it is, I'm pretty sure there are some packages in the devel
> section that will come with docs that tell me how to take my C further
> (I'd like ultimatly to do .debs :) ). Can someone point me in the right
> direction?

Matthew

Much of Linux programming is essentially UNIX programming.  Rich Stevens
has a book I like, Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment.

You could look at the recent Linux Application Development by Eric Troan
and Michael Johnson. If you can find it, look at this in a book store
before you buy. Or maybe someone will remark on it. I like it, but it is
not for a beginner in any sense of the word.

There are two older books that I recall fondly: The Unix Programming
Environment by Kernighan and Pike, and Advanced UNix Programming, by
Marc Rochkind. I had a student recently to steal a copy of Rochkind, it
must be useful;)

You will have to convert the KL&R C from these books to ANSI C, and look
up some of the system call details in the man pages to make things work
as advertised. These books are good enough to make this worth while. The
problems are very good.

I'm sure others will add better books to this list.

--David
       LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [3456]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | Ask me how user interface copyrights & software
teague@wcu.edu | patents make programing a dangerous business.

National Security Council nuclear explosion Treasury destabilize Pakistan
Delta Force atomic bomb India data encryption data  encryption  munitions
counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet clipper terrorist