Re: Parallel port scanner

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Peter Paluch wrote:

> I've just bought a Primax Colorado D600 scanner, and I'd like to use it
> under Linux. However I don't know where to find a software for it. It is
> a TWAIN compatible scanner, and it is connected to the parallel port (so
> no SCSI stuff). Could anybody tell me where can I find any software
> which may allow me to use it under Debian?
>
> Thank you many times in forward.

 SANE's home page is at: http://www.mostang.com/sane/. This is a project
that supports scanners for a wide variety of operating systems, including
Linux, *BSD, OS/2, Solaris, IRIX, etc.

 I'm afraid that parallel-port scanners are not very well supported yet.
Still, you can look and ask around. It might be possible to get the
specification and write the code to allow SANE to use it, if it's not
currently supported.

 Unfortunately, TWAIN is a software-only specification, and in fact is
pretty much Windows-only. As far as Linux is concerned, TWAIN is useless.
However, one of the nice things about SANE is that it's not tied to an
operating system, and in fact allows you to scan from a computer on a
network.

 There is work underway that might allow you to put the scanner on a
Windows machine, and use it as a "scan server" from Linux. Not ideal, but
better than nothing.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735           ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Una saus victus nullam sperare salutem." - The one hope of the damned
                   is not to hope for safety.