Re: Kernel 2.0.34

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu wrote:

>         Does anyone know when the .deb package for the 2.0.34 kernel source
> will be available? Will it be soon, or should I go ahead use a tgz? (What are
> the disadvantages of this as opposed to using the .deb file?)

There's a kernel source package at llug.sep.bnl.gov in pub/debian/Incoming
(probably other incoming mirrors as well).

I doubt this has any patches which cause it to differ from the tgz
version.  I picked up the .tgz last week and compiled/installed it
using kernel-package.  I suppose some folks worry about having anything on
their computer which wasn't installed from a package, but I can't see any
real advantage to using kernel-source packages, unlike 2.0.33, which had a
lot of patches applied to kernel-source (at least the latest version).

Bob

----