Re: Running new programs

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Brian Morgan wrote:

> I'm still a novice debian user, so forgive me if this seems like a
> rudimentary question.  How do you "run" a program (or package?) once
> you've installed and configured it.  For instance, I've just installed a
> few games, netscape, and various other utilities that I would like to
> use, but I don't know what to do with them.  Let's start with the
> games:  I've gone to my /usr/games directory, and can see the installed
> games, but nothing happens when I type in the name of the game listed in
> the games directory.  Is there another command or something I need to
> type to run these programs?

/usr/games should be in your $PATH.  See /etc/profile and add it if it
isn't there:

# /etc/profile: system-wide .profile file for bash(1).

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"
export PATH PS1

ulimit -c unlimited
umask 002

Or you can give the path to the game, '/usr/games/<program_name>'

Bob

----