Re: user can delete kernel images

In article <[🔎] Pine.SOL.3.96.980612175340.3050B-100000@taurus.cus.cam.ac.uk> you wrote:
: Something very strange has happened to my system. I have my kernels in
: /boot (the usual setup ) with permission 644. I have never touched that
: after they are created by the kernel-package. I am doing some experiments
: concerning security. So I tried as a user with no root privileges and no
: root group privileges to delete the files /boot/vmlinuz.2.0.0 and
: /boot/vmlinuz.2.0.27 I was asked whether 644  should be overrided I said
: yes and it removed the files !!!! Why ?? This is of no immediate risk
: since I have several more kernels which I use but this is scary. Can
: anayone explain this ??

What are the permissions of the directory /boot?

Right,

                                                        MartinS