Re: Re[6]: pop3 mail problem

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Steve Lamb wrote:

: On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:50:21 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
:
: >So your advice to avoid qpopper is not necessarily relevant to Debian?
:
:     It is as relevant to Debian as a message containing advice to avoid
: cucipop is.  Or advice to use qpopper is.  Or advice to use cucipop is.  Or
: even a message asking whether or not to use qpopper or cucipop is.
:
:     None at all.  It is a general Linux question which really isn't specific
: to Debian at all.

Not to hack on you for "not reading the thread", but had you done so you
might have noticed that Miquel van Smoorenburg not only maintains
qpopper for Debian, but he also implements bugfixes.  However, many of
those bugfixes do not make it upstream to Qualcomm since they have
chosen to make future versions of qpopper non-free.  (FWIW I support
Mike on this attitude).

This _does_ mean that qpopper vs. cucipop (or any other popper) is
relevant to debian, and is not a general Linux question.  Likewise,
qpopper on BSD is not as applicable as it could be (and I do agree that
on BSD qpopper is a piece of crap)

As you become more familiar with Debian you will notice that quality
isn't just a buzzword around here, it's the way things are done (most of
the time, anyway).  I'm continually impressed by the quality and
usability of Debian packages vs. the same software running on different
distributions or Operating Systems.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104