Re: Re[4]: pop3 mail problem

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 11:38:04 -0500 (EST), Michael Roark wrote:

>I saw another list member post that we should stay away from qpopper. I
>haven't heard anything - either good or bad. Do you know what the
>problem is with that daemon. My Debian machine is serving 600 or so
>dial-up connections for mail (coming and going) and authentication. If I
>need to switch for more reliable performance I need to know. Any ideas?

    It is just personal bias on my part against qpopper because of one
glaring oversight they made.  In the non-standard (IIRC) pop send feature,
which I do use from time to time, they properly accept an escaped \n.\n
string.  EG, they take \n..\n and strip it to the proper \n.\n string.  The
problem is, when they pass it on to the SMTP server they forget to escape it
again so any message which contains a dot on a line by itself will end
prematurely.

    To me that is unforgivable and calls into question what other glaring
errors are lurking just below the surface.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my