Building Kernel for Sound

Hello,

I have a soundblaster card I wanted to get working under my bo system.
My system is currently running 2.0.33 so I downloaded the source so I
could make a version with the sound blaster support.

Here is what I did

1. make menuconfig - go through list and remove all the stuff that
sounds like I don't need it.

2. make dep

3. make clean

4. make zImage - This errors out because of the kernel size.

5. make gzImage - Readme file says to do this if above didn't work

6. make modules
7. make modules_install
8. copy new kernel to /boot and make symbolic link to /linuz
9. run sbin/lilo - This errors out saying the kernel is to big!

The kernel size is about 1.4M where the one I downloaded during my
initial install is only ~600K.  Why is mine so much bigger? The last try
I gutted everything that didn't seem to be required...  Am I doing
anything wrong in my process above?

Thanks,

Doug