Re: Printing from windows

On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 01:04:10AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 1998 at 04:03:46AM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> > about how to write a filter that does nothing,  I'll do that ... I'd make
> > another printcap entry like this:
> >
> > raw|winprint:\
> > 	:lp=/dev/NULL:\
> > 	:if=/usr/sbin/rawprint:
> >
> > where /usr/sbin/rawprint just takes its input and cats it to /dev/lp1 ...
> > any ideas?  Remember that I can't cat anything to lp1 without killing lpd,
> > which is waiting on lp1 already,  but that if I try to do "lpr" within
> > rawprint,  it'll get passed through magicfilter,  which is the problem in
> > the first place...
>
> Hmmmm. If you don't specify a filter at all (remove the if=) then
> it won't use magicfilter, and will go straight through to the printer.
>
> Then you can have both the raw and cooked (magicfiltered) queues
> running in parallel; at least, I THINK this is supported (using the
> same port).
>

> Hamish

If you can't direct two queues to the same device, put them in sequence.  Have the
magicfilter queue print to the raw queue.  I have to do this for remoter printers:

lp|lj|hplj4l|HP Laserjet 4L:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj4l:\
        :sh:\
        :pw#80:\
        :pl#66:\
        :px#1440:\
        :mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/remote-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
lp-r|HP Laserjet 4L-r:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj4l-r:\
        :sh:\
        :pw#80:\
        :pl#66:\
        :px#1440:\
        :mx#0:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct-r:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs-r:\
        :rm=jetd:\
        :rp=raw:

/usr/local/bin/remoter-filter:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/ljet4l-filter | lpr -Plp-r

To use magicfilter, print to lp.  This print job will be filtered through remote-filter.
remote-filter filters through magicfilter and then prints to the raw printer.  Windows
programs can just use the raw printer.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com