Re: Debian linux and X11 installation

Hi all!

Joost, I have (very few) comments about your excellent introduction (wanna
write some sections for the faq-o-matic ;)

On Thu, Apr 09, 1998 at 02:56:25PM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:

[about dselect]

> Be wise and stick with the default selection the first time you use
> dselect. When installing those was successful, install another 20 to 25
> packages. Correct any problems by hand if necessary, either by quitting
> dselect and using "raw" dpkg or by simply marking the broken package for
> removal and running the "remove" step in dselect.

You can first try to cycle through "configure" and "install" a few times.

> In XF86Setup, you can select the mouse you have - with your mouse! The
> program will detect a lot, only if you choose a wrong mouse driver to try,
> you might have to choose the default with keyboard keys.

You have to be careful. If you choose the wrong mouse type, you may end up
freezing the program. Choose a mouse type and then move the mouse carefully,
only a small bit. If it is not moving, resist from further mouse action, and
use the keyboard to switch to another mouse type, then "a"pply. Be sure that
you get all three buttons to work (which can be a pain with some mices).
Some programs need them all.

> It doesn't detect your card, you have to know that yourself. You might
> have to open up the computer case and look at the chip on the videocard.
> If there still is a partition with windows95 on the harddisk, you can boot
> windows to peek at the device settings to see what card you have.

You can use "SuperProbe", which tries autodetection of your graphic card.
Just start it (but be sure to be prepaired of a system crash. It is unlikely
but may occur).

> There is no way for XF86Config to know your monitor either. You'll have to
> set this yourself. You don't have to set frequencies anymore if you don't
> want to (but it gives more optimal results if you can.) If you know that
> your monitor can do at least 800x600, then you tell XF86Setup to use that
> settings. The program will then use the frequency setting it associates
> with that resolution, those are the most common and safe settings. Be
> careful not to experiment with the monitor settings without good detailed
> knowledge about the monitor's parameters. Setting the wrong values can
> really break your monitor. So, unless you can find the exact
> specifications of your monitor (either in a manual or on the web) just
> select a resolution that you're sure your monitor handles, then you'll get
> reasonably safe values.

I found modern multi-sync monitors reasonable safe. 15 inch monitors can
nearly all manage 35-64.3 Horizontal and 50-100 Vertical, and these are very
reasonable settings. (But I like to write my own modelines for optimum
settings ;).

> Partly, linux isn't finished yet and a lot of user-friendlyness still has
> to be implemented (care to write some?)

Joost, I really think you should contribute extracts of your mail to the X
section of faq-o-matic (www.debian.org/cgi-bin/fom). The text is excellent.

Thank you,
Marcus