Re: LibICE and general X install

>When trying to install lib6 and many x-related packages to get x running, I
>keep being unable to install them, as dpkg tells me that I haven't got
>libICE something-or-other. I looked thru www.debian.org/packages and can't
>find it.

I got this when installing xlib6. However, I just installed it with dpkg
-i --force-depends xlib6*.*
This forces dpkg to ignore all dependencies, and xlib6 seems to run
perfectly.

>Also one of the packages says it needs ccp whatever that is.

That's just a package, available from Debian. Try searching for ccp.

>Also, when I'm trying to install xserver (the S3 version) I'm told it can't
>find a mouse at /dev/mouse because it doesn't exist. I know it doesn't but
>don't know how to get it...
>
>Plus, whenever trying to run xdm the screen completely packs in and I have
>to reboot.
>
>I'm told I should run XF86Setup but it says it's not there despite
>instructions in x's doc files.

Try running
/usr/sbin/xbase-configure
If that doesn't work, type
find / -name "xf86config*"
to look for the the text-based config file, then run that.

Graham Pople (graham@jalna.demon.co.uk)
SNES emulators at Emulation One (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/index.htm)
All emulators at E1 Newsletter (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/e1news.htm)