Cloning workstations

With a lot of luck I've succeeded in putting up a hamm system from
scratch. Now I want to make identical installations on a couple of
machines with almost identical hardware.

What is the easiest way? Can it be automated (I bet many people has
done this before..)? If I have to do it by tarring the disk to an
NFS-server and then booting on a floppy an tarring up to the target,
which files do I have to change with system-dependent info?

Another question: I am going to transform some half-useless Pentium60-
based win95 systems into UNIX workstations :-), but they only have
400MB-disks so I thought I'll have to put some stuff (perhaps /usr?)
on NFS. How well does this work with Debian's Package System?

It would be nice to fill the 400 MB with at least the most important
stuff (editor, TeX and stuff) so they'll be at least partially useable
even if the network goes down. So perhaps I could install that
"barebones" system on the workstations and a complete install on the
NFS-server, but I can't (can I?) force the installation of certain
programs to /usr/bin and some just to /bin. Of course, I still want
to take advantage of Debian's excellent upgrading system.

Thanks to everyone who put time and effort into this excellent OS!

  // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]