Re: ALT key in X for Emacs

Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> wrote:
> The ALT key works under emacs when in console mode.  But it doesn't work
> under X.  Is there any reason for this?  How can I fix it?
>
> Perhaps I need to use xmodmap?  I heard something about a userfriendly
> version of this.  Does anyone know what it's called?

Paul Seelig already mentioned xkeycaps.  Perhaps this is what you were
looking for, but if your problem is that Meta-Mouse buttons (used for
secondary selection -- a very important emacs feature allowing
selection of text without moving point) no longer work, it may be due
to this insidious line which crept into bo's
/etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc:

  Mouse 0 W M move-and-raise-or-raiselower

I override it with these lines in my ~/.fvwm2/post.hook:

  # Allow Meta-mouse events to pass on to the clients.  This is
  # especially important for emacs with secondary selection.
  Mouse 0 W M -

I have been meaning to check and see if a bug report has been filed on
this yet.

Kirk Hilliard