Re: is the Creative Labs AWE64 GOLD Soundcard supported?

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Ok. Please mail me about PnP if you have new information. I will try the new
> kernels for myslf some time (far away from now, I suppose... lot to do).

(I've sent another message to the list about it in the meantime.)

> > 2.1.59 has that "problem" too, 2.0.29 too... it is just "out of memory"
> > (I recently reduced swap partition from 33Mb to 8Mb as it nearly never
> > worked - 32 Mb ram BTW - and when it worked it was 2-3 megs and I needed
> > to collect disk space...

[snip]

> 8MB swap is far to low, if you ask me. Although you have 32 MB, if you run
> out of memory, it can break you suddenly, and important work can be at loss.

Sure, a risk. Depends on what you do.

> What is your mail reader?

pine

-----

Marcus, as you allowed me to do it, I forward this to the list, maybe of
interest.

-----

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 shawn.fumo@the-spa.com wrote:

> Nicole,

A-ehm, NicolA is a male name in Italy, just think about Nicolas in the
USA.

> > Ah, about that cheap MIDI (possibly mute) keyboard, I saw that
> > shawn.fumo@the-spa.com was talking about it too, he was looking
> > for midi software packages and mainly for software synthesis.
>
> Well, speaking of that, this is what I settled on. I turned out
> getting a Yamaha PSR-220. It cost about $220US, and considering that
> was not much more expensive than the keyboard with no sounds of its
> own, was better to get that one. Including power supply, warrenty,
> and midi camble, turned out costing about $300US total.
>
> It has turned out working very well. It works fine in place of a
> sound card (sounds MUCH better than FM Synthesis), and doesn't take
> up the processor like soft. syn. does. (thus making it possible to
> play games like Doom with it). It also works very well for inputting
> into a sequencer, as it can sense how hard you hit keys, etc.
>
> I'd say that for a midi-comp. keyboard, this is about as low as
> you'd want to go. Instruments sounded much more realistic (in
> general) than the Casio I tried. Has no pitch-wheel, but can play
> pitch-bend commands (so you could always add that later in the
> sequencer or something).
>
> The only "dumb" keyboard with no sounds in it, looked fairly nice,
> but I don't think it'd be worth it unless you found it for like
> $100US. Otherwise, might as well pay a bit more for the Yamaha and
> get a nice built-in synthesizer, and the ability to practice without
> being tied to the computer...

Yes, you're right, not nice being tied to the computer... not nice FM too
nor eating CPU cycles for soft synthesis if you want the CPU to do
something else... as you told you can use your synth-capable-keyboard for
General Midi sounds from games (though here you _are_ tied to the computer
and AWE is not bad in this case)... I think your Yamaha PSR-200 _is_
General Midi compliant by now, isn't it? How many octaves has the
keyboard, 4, 5 or 7? Did you have to buy a sustain pedal apart of it?

I think games are very nice for an OS to be more widely used, and Linux
could support both the _very_powerful_"solid"_graphics kind of games and
the abstract_fast_X_fascinating_graphics kind, of course both with
astonishing sounds :-) maybe in part math-generated and graphics-related
(I still have to give a look at software such as kandinsky). Maybe one day
some Debian-original ultra-eye_ear_MIND-catching game...?

Where do you play Doom, Linux or DOS? If Linux, does it need anything else
but a properly configured kernel in order to send to the external MIDI
synth?... Maybe a doom-specific sound server does anything? Is there a
Debian package?... I can't find one on the 1.3.1. CD... I had it on my
very first Linux install years ago (or the second one...) and will give a
look at some more recent CDs I have here. I tried abuse yesterday from the
Debian package [not the one with 1.2.4, sound broken to me {but SVGA}, the
one with 1.3.1 {but only X, not SVGA it seems}] and it looks very
interesting (more than recent demos I saw in (Win)DOG with sophisticated
3d-like graphics), and sounds give a _very_ interesting taste; it seems
they chose to have no music in it.

There's also LISP stuff to draw enemies behaviour it seems, levels
editing... Ok, I would buy that instead of - say - MDK for DOS, though I
don't dig into games usually, I listen to sounds and taste the look of
graphics, cut of scenes, points of view...

One exception is a quite different one, I only "flied" ACM-4.7 (Air Combat
Maneuver) quite a lot in order to learn to land safe (compiled with
REAL_DELTA_T=no for my P90), but I would not call it a game, lots of math
and software engineering skills are in it. I also sent patches to just be
able to compile 4.8 under Linux (the Cessna 172 remaining unstable... but
who wants it instead of a MiG-29 or F-16C?), I sent them to the author and
an assistent of him, alas with no answer.

BTW I have to discover whether or not "Network Audio Ssystem" and
"Netaudio" are the same, and if not that's why I can't have audio from
neither of ACM-4.7 and ACM-4.8..

-----

Is there any piece of code ready to test full-duplex support given by the
kernel sound driver?

I've sent a report on some minor problems with 2.1.59 to the linux-kernel
mailing list and also asked this at the end (please read it here as not
specifically related to kernel 2.1.59):

I went to 2.1.59 to be able to test SLab-1.0 (born in 2.1.24 says the
readme file). Please, is there any piece of code ready to test the
full-duplex support given by the sound driver ("OSS-3.8b5 or newer")
coming with 2.1.59? I have voicechat-0.40-beta compiled both for
half-duplex and full-duplex here, but didn't want to bore out there and
ask for a sked on the Internet to test it (though it could be of some
interest itself).

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>
messages will come, even when I am away for some days.