Re: is the Creative Labs AWE64 GOLD Soundcard supported?

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Perhaps there is a newer isapnp out there, that could help you?
> Did you read the isapnp-faq?

Ah, by the time I was popping this message and the one you CCed to the
list I was also sending you the workaround I found... OK I'm going to
reply you also forwarding that very simple workaround (simple but not
digging into problems of the isapnp version I'm using here... anyway those
problems are probably solved with the version _you_ mentioned).

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> This problem is described in the isapnp-faq (it should really be included in
> the debian package).
>
> I quote it here (Nicola, does it work for you? Please tell me, for the HOWTO)
> What does `Error occurred executing request 'LD 2' on or around line...''
> mean ?
>
>    This means that attempting to read back the logical device number failed.
>    The specification is rather unclear on whether this is guaranteed to work,
>    and in any event, it doesn't appear to work with some devices.
>
>    There are two solutions:
>     1. Get isapnp version 1.10 or later which supports VERIFYLD.
>     2. Use direct register access to select the logical device. So instead
>        of configuring each logical device as normal:
[snip]

The first looks prettier :-) than all those PEEKs, and the following too.

> another tip:
> The configuration file must end in WAITFORKEY.

This is the most important hint:
Make sure that your isapnp.con contains the two lines i marked with ****
> ------------------------------------
> (CONFIGURE CTL0043/54664 (LD 2
> #     ANSI string -->WaveTable<--
>
> (IO 0 (BASE 0x0620))
> (IO 1 (BASE 0x0A20))  # ****
> (IO 2 (BASE 0x0E20))  # ****
>
> #     End dependent functions
> (ACT Y)
> ))

Yes, I took them from Toersten's postings (see also attachments to
forwarded message where I found those addresses being correct also for the
Gold), he was that suggested to go and look at the AWE driver homepage.

Very nice thing to come for everybody your HOWTO, good idea Marcus!

Below I forward that message with the workaround, bringing the attachments
with itself.

Nicola