YAP^4 : Yet Another PPP Problem

My PPP connection through the inscrutable and apparently
anti-linux (xunil?) ISP concentric.net invariably breaks
down after receiving a few packets.  This happens both when
using Netscape and when using Lynx, although more quickly
with Netscape.

I have tried many variations for /etc/ppp/options, including
all 8 subsets of -ac, -pc, and -vj on the theory that there
is an incompatibility in compression negotiations.

Currently I have:

asyncmap 0
crtscts
lock
modem
network 255.255.255.0
noipdefault
-ac
-pc
-vj
debug
kdebug 7
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
lpcp-restart 10
defaultroute
user monkberg@ppp

I've tried variations on mtu and mru from the high 200's through
the 500's, 1000, and 1500. kdebug through /dev/xconsole shows what
I believe are continuing successful lcp pings even after the
browser stalls.  In netscape I have never brought in any graphics.
Reproducibly, if I first go to the directory entry Netscape home,
I get the page's text, then a message saying 100% of 21K (at a gradually
diminishing rate) is displayed, and finally the program hangs.  If I
stop Netscape and restart with the same PPP connection, the second
Netscape instance does not even get that same page's text.

Sometimes I get a message about compression synchronization breaking
down, although I don't believe I have gotten such with all three of
-ac, -pc, and -vj.

By the way, I had a devil of a time figuring out that I was supposed
to append @ppp to my login name, thanks to the aforementioned ISP
xunility.  But I gather that some people do successfully use
concentric.net with Linux.  My connection works OK with Windows95.

Any ideas?  Is more detail needed?  If so what?
Thanks, Leonard Monk