broken installation

Hi,

I just installed a system using dselect and got about 40 packages that
were broken; they installed but are unconfigured.  Mostly they have
dependencies that were covered in multiple deb packages.  Libraries of
other files of the same name were redundant in several packages.  What do
you do in a case like this?

I 'forced' downloading them and figured I could work out the details
later, even if I had to configure by hand.  Is this customary for ftp
installs?

                       __   _
David S. Jackson      / /  (_)__  __ ____  __

            * * * CHOICE OF A GNU GENERATION * * *