Re: 16650

Hi there

if my memory still serves me, 16650 was issued with
bug in FIFO handling, so you can easily loose
bytes. After some time bug was fixed and now
good 16650 are in production. Unfortunately, there is
no way to find out chip info, i.e. there is no
difference between good 16650 and buggy one.

Try to ask Theodore Tso, who is maintaining
linux serial drivers.

cheers

OK

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> But they are enabled for 16550A, which is the only type you will find
> these days.
>
> Bob
>
> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Steve Hsieh wrote:
>

> > >  > I'm certainly interested because I intend to be getting a byte runner 16650
> > >  > card and ISDN TA in a about a week.
> >

> > Something to think about before getting a 16650 card... From the 2.0.30
> > kernel serial.c:
> >
> >         } else if (info->type == PORT_16650) {
> >                 /*
> >                  * On the 16650, we disable the FIFOs altogether
> >                  * because of a design bug in how the implement
> >                  * things.  We could support it by completely changing
> >                  * how we handle the interrupt driver, but not today....
> >                  *
> >                  * N.B.  Because there's no way to set a FIFO trigger
> >                  * at 1 char, we'd probably disable at speed below
> >                  * 2400 baud anyway...
> >                  */
> >                 fcr = 0;
> >

> > --