Cheap bytes CDROM

I purchased on of the Cheap bytes CDs a few weeks back (Debian 1.2) and
want to report on my success using it.

My problem:

I wanted to make a full blown recovery system by using a EZ 135
removable SCSI HD.

Solution:

I did an initial install from the CD to the EZ135.  I partitioned
the drive into a small swap (32Mb) and left the rest (~100Mb) for
root.  All one partition.

I generated the rescue, driver and base disks from Windows 95 using
the rawrite2.exe program.  I then booted the rescue disk and installed
the system with only one minor glitch, that I caused.  I didn't even try
to change the dselect packages, instead I went directly to install
after selecting access mode, etc.

Dselect complained about perl, but all went pretty well.  It took
all of the 100 Mb of disk.  I had less than 1 Mb left on disk after
it finished.  I then removed all of the TeX related stuff, all of
the mail related stuff and a couple of other unnecessary packages.

It looks good.  Congrats, folks.  This is the first time in 3 years that
I have actually done an install without giving up on dselect and using
dpkg.  Of course, I didn't really use dselect. 8^)

I was surprised how quickly it installed.  In the past the default boot
disks have paused for long periods of time and/or died when it got
confused about the hardware configuration, but this time it worked
flawlessly.

Thought I'd express my gratitude for a job well done and tell everyone
that the Cheap bytes CD seems to work, in at least one case without
error.

Jim.
Jim Lynch, System Engineer,  SGI/Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Federal Business Systems, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl@sgi.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269