Striped swapping?

Long ago I used two swap-partitions with the same priority to make
linux stripe the swap between the two partitions.

However, the system still behaved as if the first swap-partition I
mounted up had a higher priority than the second.  The second hd didn't
seem to do much of anything, and thing would really slow down if there was
a lot of data being transferred to and from the hd with the first swap-
partition on.

I then installed the MD-driver and raid0'ed the two partitions together,
and then used md0 as swap.  This was OK with the /etc/init.d/boot too, as
it mounted the md-partitions before it added swap.  To me things seemed
to improve quite a bit.  Both hd's would now work if swapping, and high
activity on first hd(my /usr-area) had lesser impact on system performance.

Now the /etc/init.d/boot-file has changed to first mount swap and only
much later mount the md-partitions.  The comment in this file says that
the striping ability of the swap code should be used instead.  Some monts
ago someone (possibly on the kernel list) said let the swap-code handle
swapping, and the md-code disk-striping" or somesuch.

I'm feeling a bit confused now.  Could someone with knowledge in this matter
shed some light on wheter the md-code or the striping-support in swap
is best for striping swap?

And in the meantime, some warning when upgrading sysvinit would be nice.
My system would have ended up without any swap on the next reboot...

--
   Vebjorn Forsmo   vebjorn@mo.hiMolde.no  vebjorn@hsr.no   vforsmo@sn.no
 80 13 6B 4B 7C 83 B7 DC  5C 9C A8 AE C0 AD 22 F4  2048/00952325 1995/05/13