Auto updating the hardware clock on shutdown.

I assumed that the hardware clock was always written to reflect the
current system time on shutdown.  Is that true?  The reason I ask is
because we just had the daylight savings switch here, and at least one
of my systems came up after a reboot with the wrong time (it was an
hour off).  If the clock is not by default written at shutdown, what's
the best way to make sure that it is, an appropriate rc.d script
perhaps?

Thanks
--
Rob