Re: bi

Why not just echo > text.file and echo >> text.file??

Or maybe use this to write a small C program that will write the text file?

Just kidding.  I know all these things play important roles.  I just don't
believe in buying a convertible and never putting the top down or buying a
Corvett and driving it at half the speed limit all the time.

I guess the years I spent in M.I. using the line editors on the unix systems
we used broke me.  When they finally put a full screen editor in I was born
again.

Anyway.  To each his own.

On 12-Apr-97 Richard Sharman wrote:
>Jason Costomiris writes:

> > > Teco.
> >
> > Bwah.  Real men edit with cat, sed, awk, head and tail.  Better yet, they
> > write directly to the disk with a hex sector editor.
> >

>sed, head AND tail?   Isn't that a bit extravagent?
>head -4 f    ==   sed 4q f
>
>Actually, if you have awk I don't think you need sed.
>

>Here's head and tail with awk
>

>Head() {
>       awk "(NR > $1) {exit} {print}" $2
>}
>
>Tail() {
>       n=`wc -l $2 | awk "{print \\$1 - $1}"`
>       awk "( NR < $n ) {next} {print}" $2
>}
>
>The syntax is a little different,  use Head 4 f  instead of head -4 f
>

>% Head 4 f
>line 1
>line 2
>line 3