Re: What editors are in base?

From: someone...

From: joey@tapiola.infodrom.north.de (Martin Schulze)
> Me too.  Apart from the fact that i cannot understand the decision [...]

It's funny how often this comes up. The reason is that the base system
is the minimal subset you need to install packages. "ae" is there because
it's the smallest usable editor. Once you can install packages, you're
expected to pick one of the three flavors of "vi" or one of the multiple
flavors of emacs-like editors, etc.

Since the base system is sometimes installed from floppy disk, it really
does have to be small. The rescue floppy has even more serious size
limitations.

We really should have something that asks you what editor you use,
what languages you speak, and what you want to do with the system.
Currently we're expecting first-time installers to make those
decisions with "dselect", and it's no surprise that they don't always
figure out how to do that.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--