Re: Debian's 'group' system

Pete Harlan wrote:

> This reminds me---Debian has adopted this nice system of every user
> having his/her own group.  (No sarcasm: It's a Good Thing.)
> Everything is then group-writable by default, which is probably what
> you want.

Can you enlighten me as to why this should be a Good Thing?  To me it
feels as though the group and user ownerships are now merged into one,
effectively _removing_ one possibility to differentiate.  Of course I
found how to switch it off in /etc/adduser.conf, but I think it should
be something that adduser should at least _prompt_ about.

Eric Meijer

 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032
 Lab. for Catalysis and Inorg. Chem. (TAK) | tel. fax    +31 40 2455054