Re: KDE team doesn't like Debian dist.?

On 25-Nov-97 Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
> E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:
>> Indeed.  I never quite understood this strategy of putting things
>> under /opt.  Once I had problems on a SUN because the system
>> couldn't handle the length of the PATH an MANPATH variables anymore:
>> every package gets its own bin, lib and man directory.  We should
>> never indulge in letting this plague enter the debian file system
>>  structure.
>
> What a nightmare!
> Things in /opt should be "installed" in /opt/bin, /opt/lib, /opt/man,
> ecc. using symlinks and/or wrappers.
> Well done upstream packages which use /opt should carry an utility to
> install symlinks and wrappers in /opt/* or /usr/local/* at wish.
>
> The /opt idea is to isolate upstream packages from peculiarities of
> different OSes, not to pollute users' namespace.
>
> Check the FHS-2.0

In my humble opinion /opt has another very useful and practical function.

You can mount a whole new disk partition on /opt, when your original /usr
partition is getting full. Since some of the commercial packages not only are
designed to install under /opt by default, but also are big (~100MB), this is
useful. Just buy a new HD and mount it on /opt.

Then you can set all the symlinks from /usr you like -- they don't take up much
space.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: Ted Harding <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>