How do people make backups on Linux?

Hi,

I am installing a system with a QIC tape.  I would like to know how do
people on this list do their backups.  I am switching from an AT&T
environment where I used bru, and am very satisfied with it.  I know
it is available for Linux, too, but I was wondering if you can suggest
free alternatives.

I find taper way too unstable, and top/afio don't seem too
professional (I'd like to hear your opinions about this).  Also, are
there good experiences about using cpio or tar?

Thanks
Francesco