tape driver configuration

Hi,

I have just installed a new tape driver ( seagate travan 3200 ). I have
tried it u der windows and it works ok. I am trying to make it work under
Linux. I have installed ftape-2.0.30 and am using a 2.0.30 kernel. When
ftape was installed it complain that the modules were unresolved symbols.
I thought I should recomplile with modversion switched off but I gave it a
try with modprobe and the modules seemed to load OK. Then I tried
garfield:~# ftmt -f /dev/qft0 status
as mentioned in the manual but got
ftmt: /dev/qft0: Device not configured
after the floppy disk was accesed brielfy the tape driver was not accessed
at all. What am I doing wrong ?. A quick look at the documwentation
included mainly info on compiling. What about some debian specific info ?
Any help will be appreciated.
                                     Thanks
                                       George

George Kapetanios