Re: Laptop install gone haywire

Thanks for the suggestions so far; running the install without
floppy=thinkpad does get me further into the install, but then I get
more strange stuff.  The system prints out a set of instructions for
continuing the low-memory install, then follows that with a list of
fdisk choices.  At this point it only lists choices 1, "Run the disk
partitioning system in order to make a swap partition," and 4, "Reboot".

So far so good.  But right after it prints those fdisk choices, it spits
out a list of errors, which follows:

floppy0: unexpected interrupt
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=c0 repl[1]=0
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=c1 repl[1]=0
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=c2 repl[1]=0
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=c3 repl[1]=0
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=80
attempt to access beyond end of device
02:00: rw=1, want=26, limit=2
attempt to access beyond end of device
02:00: rw=1, want=27, limit=2

I've gotten to this point before, just by trying different boot
options.  After this, I can still access the menu choice #1 to attempt
to create a swap partition, but here's what happens:  When I enter
choice 1, a list of stuff flies by too fast to catch, followed by the
prompt to choose a hard drive device name and the list of all available
names.  [aside: you would think that fdisk would be smart enough to
check and see that I only have one IDE drive and not a list of SCSI
devices as long as my arm, but I guess not all installs can be that
smart.]

After I enter the choice /dev/hda and press enter, I get a repeat of the
instructions followed by the fdisk menu again, this time with choice 2:
"initialize the swap partition" added.  If I press 2 and enter, I get
the following set of messages:

Please wait while swap partitions are detected. . .
fdisk: not found
attempt to access beyond end of device
02:00: rw=0, want=27, limit=2
Major problem: unable to read inode from device 02:00
sbin/swapsetup: cannot create /tmp/13: directory nonexistent

The process then stops.  If I switch to the terminal on f3, there's
something being repeated too fast to catch.  On f4, there are several
repeats of the "attempt to access/02:00" pair of lines above, with the
want= number varying from 19 to 27, and at the beginnning of each line
either a <4> or a <6>.

Like I said last time, I think I can eliminate media trouble, and the
floppy=thinkpad boot option causes even more problems, but I do think
that what I'm seeing is some sort of problem with reading the floppy.

Somebody said I should send along the model number of the thinkpad; it's
2603-17N.  The processor is a 486SLC running at 50MHz.

Somebody else said that I should try the boot disk labeled for the
Toshiba Tecra.  I haven't tried that (my gut tells me it won't help) but
I will while I wait to see if anybody has any more ideas.

Please, help me save another machine from the clutches of DOS.  Getting
it to do what I want wouldn't be such a bad thing either.

Thanks,
-michael