Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH causes problems in hamm distribution

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Jameson Burt wrote:

 : After upgrading ldso, libc6 and several other packages, several packages
 : failed to work, responding "segmentation violation",
 : 	xv, xfig, xephem
 : The cause of this was my setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .bashrc.
 : I had used this setting with no problems for a year under rex and bo.
 :
 : To correct this, I tried many combinations of paths in LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
 : including those in /etc/ld.so.conf.  I could never get all packages to work
 : with any LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I could get xv and xfig to work, but then vim would
 : respond "caught deadly signal SEGV".
 :
 : The file /etc/ld.so.conf seems to do properly what LD_LIBRARY_PATH did.
 : I presume we should NO longer use the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

What LD_LIBRARY_PATH's did you try?

I never experience any problems with it. Make sure those programs get their
libraries loaded from the correct directory (find out with ldd).

bye,

Remco