Re: [SOLVED] unable to start PCMCIA service

holger.brandhorst@mata.fzk.de (Holger Brandhorst) writes:

> Brian Mays wrote:

> > type `debian/rules build-modules'.  This should build a new
> > pcmcia-modules-2.0.30 package in the parent directory
>
> this have built no new *.deb file - but the created modules (after
> copying them to the right place) are working fine!

Oops!  Sorry, that should have been `debian/rules binary-modules' not
build-modules.

[ Who was the genius that decided to name the makefile targets
"binary" and "build?"  I constantly substitute one for the other when
working on my packages. ]

If you use `debian/rules binary-modules' then you will get a deb file
that you can install with dpkg.  It's a little better than simply
copying the files, since you will be using Debian's packaging system
to track these files.

> some other things happend which i don't understand till now:
> e.g. the:
> >    select option 1 -- "Read from the currently running kernel."
> says that APM and PCI is disabled - what is a discrepancy to my .config
> file from the kernel source - so i don't know where my currently running
> kernel is really from!

This is clearly the source of the problem.  Somehow the kernel that
you are using was created with a different configuration than the one
in your .config file.  Fortunately, this problem seems to be resolved.

Brian