Re: Book for writing shell scripts.

> 	I am looking for suggestions on a good book for writing shell
> scripts.  O'Reilly publishes a book on bash and another on awk & sed.

I like Kernighan and Pike, "The Unix Programming Environment".  It's
dated (like ten years or so), and doesn't cover Bash extensions, and
covers a lot more than shell programming, but all of that is good; its
programs are very portable.

The thing I like best is the Unix mindset, given here better than
anywhere else I've seen.

It's not a step-by-step intro to the details of shell programming, but
when I was learning Bash and wanted to do something in it, I'd just
flip open the book and follow their example.

For details, the Bash manpage tells all.  I only had to read it ten
times or so before understanding what all of it meant ;)

Like most people, I'm recommending what I have myself done; not having
learned shell programming any other ways, I can't comment on them.

--
Pete Harlan
pete@mymenus.com