custom kernel configuration

Well rather than read the docs, I decided to re-compile my kernel
using the steps I normally take and all seems well.

First. The steps I took were
"make mrproper"
"make config"
"make dep; make clean"
"make zImage"
"make modules"

I then moved my current modules with,
"mv /lib/modules/2.0.30 /lib/modules/2.0.30-old"

then
"make modules_install"

I then altered the Makefile to set the install path to /boot and
edited lilo.conf accordingly and did a, "make zlilo".

This all seemed to work fine so I'm curious about the references to
the make-kpkg instructions (which I found later of course) in the
Debian docs.

What if anything, would the differences have been?
Have I created any problems that haven't happened yet?