Re: hi

> >On 14-Oct-97 Matt Thompson wrote:
> >      ok, i got libc5_5.4.33-7.deb from hamm, and here's what i got:
> >
> >      mattyt# dpkg -i libc5_5.4.33-7.deb
> >      dpkg: regarding libc5_5.4.33-7.deb containing libc5:
> >       libc5 conflicts with libc5-dev
> >        libc5-dev (version 5.4.33-6) is installed.
> >      dpkg: error processing libc5_5.4.33-7.deb (--install):
> >       conflicting packages - not installing libc5
> >      Errors were encountered while processing:
> >       libc5_5.4.33-7.deb
>
> You can remove libc5-dev, and also, you shouldn't need to install any *-dev
> unless you are going to compile you own programs. The gimp works without any
> *-dev and I would assume must debian packages are same.
>
> Later,
> David

ok, i removed libc5-dev, which also removed wg15-locale, flex and gcc
(and several -dev packages, but i assume i won't be needing those since
i'm no hacker, unfortunately :) ). now, i know i want gcc if i ever want
to compile a new kernel, right? but do i need flex or wg15? if so, should
i get it from unstable? should i install the stable gcc from dselect, or
get the version from unstable and dpkg it?

thanks loads,
matty