Q: X-Windows Fails

OK, next question.  While I installed Debian 1.3.0 on my
Compaq Server, DSelect took me through the configuration
of X-Windows.  The server has a SVGA card installed.  I
selected a standard SVGA card and a standard SVGA
monitor.  The configuration program engaged just fine.
I selected my mouse and made the needed settings
and it worked fine.  Once dselect was done, I tried to
execute X and all I got was a gray screen with my mouse
pointer.  The mouse works fine, but that's all, it just
sits there and stares at me.  I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Bksp
to exit out and then the text screen is so hosed that I
can't read anything.

Any help would be great.

--
deans@crl.com