Re: Is Debian Compatible?

> On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Michael Manlief wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >     I'm for the most part a unix novice.  I would like to try the Debian
> > package, but still be able to to use win95 on my machine (not
> > simultaneously, of course).  I would like Win95 to be my main operating
> > system, and just use debian when i want to run unix based software.  Is
> > this possible?
> Surely.  I do it (but I found eventually that I use Debian much more than
> Win95 :) ).  You'll need to repartition your hard disk to make space for
> linux;  this is possible with a few shareware utilities that are around.
> I've never had need for them,  but I'm sure someone here can point you in
> the right direction.

One word (3 times)...BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!!

If you have stuff in your win95 drives that has value to you, then you
*must* do the backup before you start.  Having a known good backup of your
data allows you the freedom to experiment with different configurations.
It also provides for the inevitable "Oops!" that's sure to happen when
you start doing some of this administrative-level stuff for the first time.
It's easy to say that you won't do anything until you're *SURE* of the
consequences.  Much harder to pull it off.  We've all had it happen to
us one time or the other.

If you don't have a backup device with enough capacity to backup your
data easily, I'd suggest that you make that your next major purchase.
After all, you are running Windows 95.  I can't imagine that the DOS
file-system takes kindly to the sorts of system crashes that seem to
accompany some of the software that's out there...

> > HOWTO for people who want to use multi-OS's with debian?
> I would check out the directory ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO
> for some of this info ... look for Howto's on Dos2linux,  installation,
> etc.

I agree with Will.  Read the HOWTO's from Sunsite and ask the list if
any specific issue seems to be confusing.  FIPS is a nice tool for DOS
file-systems - though you have to do some planning to make sure you don't
end-up with a DOS partition that has a cluster size a lot bigger than you
need!  FIPS does not (at least the versions I used many moons ago...)
change cluster size.  Therefore, try to create a *new* partition that's
the size you want for DOS.  Format the partition and then copy the data
over to the new one.  Reboot to test things before you delete the original
partition.

Once you're sure that the DOS/Windows stuff is still OK (oxymoron anyone?)
recreate the partition(s) needed for Linux.  I'd recommend two partitions for
the beginner - one as swap, one as file-system.  Later, you can check the
usage of various branches of the file-system and then backup/recreate/restore
to a layout with multiple partitions (preferred).

Good luck.
Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	(419) 529-3841