Help building a debian package

Hi!

I´ve just made a debian package with the ptolemy software, but have found
some problems. The whole uncompressed  package needs around 110 Mbs,
and the ".deb" uses 28Mbs (great compresion, isn´t it?).  The problem
arises when trying to install it, as it gives out something like

"tar filesistem corrupted"

You may think that the package is corrupted, but it is not. Unpacking it
manually (ar x ptolemy.deb; tar zxvf data.tar.gz) works ok... but dpkg
seems to be unable to extract the files. It stops after the first 34 Mbs.

Is this a bug in dpkg or am I doing something wrong?

Please answer asap, as the release of this package is urgent.

Thanks.