Re: sshd X11 forwarding

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Could somebody post a hint on how to get ssh X11 forwarding working?
> I put
>
> Host *
>   ForwardX11 Yes
>
> in my local ~/.ssh/config file, and it works to master, but it doesn't
> work to another Debian host, which does have X11Forwarding yes in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config, but I'm always told that the remote host refused
> X11 forwarding.
>
> However, the host does not yet have the X tools installed. (although
> it does have xlib).

the remote host has to have xauth installed for X11 forwarding to work.

xauth is in the 'xbase' package.

if that doesn't help, try "-v" (verbose) option of ssh - it may give you
enough info to track down the problem.

craig

ps: i use ssh with X11 forwarding on numerous debian machines. it works.
i didn't even have to configure anything to get it working...it worked
out of the box.

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract