RE: Rogue Wave lib

RogueWave has Tools.h++ which is a library of collection and utility
classes.  Also they have DBTools.h which encapsulates Database access to
different databases (Informix native, Oracle native, Sybase native, and
ODBC).

There are a lot of libraries that can be used in place of tools.h -- OSE
for example, is one of the most advances free libraries that I have seen
so far,
then goes YACL (it has generic classes + UI (like wxWindows)).  Also I
think
that in the near feature STL will become more prevalent in the world of
collection
classes.  However strings, dates, records, logging, debugging classes
(like
the ones provided by OSE or YACL) will still be widely used.

As far as DBTools.++ -- I do not know of ANY other company that provide
that type of
encapsulation of the DB access (and this market is *very* lucrative if
someone
would like to step into the land of ESQL encapsulation -- it is not that
hard too -- I always wonder what ObjectSpace is waiting for).

Also I think RW does not officially support GNU CC -- however, I think
there are
a lot of reports that those libraries could be compiled with GNU cc
which means
they could be used on Linux (of course of DBTools.h you would need a
database specific ESQL development environment)

Vladislav

By the way,
if anyone would like to start a free project on DB access encapsulation
for
multiple DB vendors -- count me in as a help.