Re: Intermittant PPP connection

On 97/09/20 at 13:55 PM -0500, Rob MacWilliams wrote:

> Victor Torrico writes:
>  > On 97/09/20 at 12:11 PM -0500, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
>  >
>  > > Victor Torrico writes:
>  > > > I used to stay connected rock solid with no disconnections.  Now when I
>  > > > do a pon I connect with no problem but drop the connection after a few
>  > > > seconds.
>  > >
>  > > Has your isp made any changes lately?  Mine recently made an unannounced
>  > > change which required me to insert a pause at the start of the login
>  > > sequence.
>  > >
>  > > John Hasler
>  >
>  > I should have been clearer.  I can log on OK but disconnect after 30 to 40
>  > seconds.  Then pon autoredials.
>  >
>  > Maybe there is an inactivity timeout window set by the ISP?
>  >
>  > Thanks for your reply.
>  >
>  > --
>  > Victor Torrico
>  >
>  >        ------ Wildflower Hill, Head Waters, Virginia ------
>  >
>  >
>  > --
>  > TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
>  > debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .
>  > Trouble?  e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .
>
> My ISP has a 30 sec timeout on login so I put a ping in in my ip-up
> script to get things solid before he had a chance to disconnect me :-)
> It looks like this:
>
> <snip>
>
> export PATH
> sleep 1s
> ping -c 2 cl-sys.com
>
> <snip>
>  This seems to be enough to get me to the next level of timeouts, 10
> min.  I'm having similar problems on several machines and OS's as you
> are, so don't feel alone.
>
> Later
>
> Rob

Piggy backing on your idea, I am just leaving ping turned on all the time so
that there is one ping every twenty seconds.  This keeps the ISP timeout
window happy and should not interfere in any significant way with using any
applications or downloads.  This now allows me to take my time without
worrying about thirty second timeouts.  It turns out that the ISP timeout is
after any thirty second period of inactivity.  Not just after login.

Here's what I do:    ping -i 20 "ISP domain name goes here"

ie; I use:   ping -i 20 cfw.com

Of course this could also be put in the ip-up file or made into a bash
function.  pg () { ping -i 20 cfw.com; }

Let me know if this works for you please.

Cheers,

Victor
--
       ------ Wildflower Hill, Head Waters, Virginia ------