Netscape freezes starting Java

Under both the Debian "supported" Netscape, 3.01, and under the new 4.03
version available at ftp.netscape.com, the browser freezes solid whenever
it tries to start a Java applet.  Netscape wedges solid and doesn't even
acknowledge expose events from the X server.  The only thing to do is kill
it.

Does anyone know why this might be?

FYI, I have binfmt_java compiled as a module, but it doesn't get loaded.  I
don't have any other java related packages installed -- it was my
understanding -- perhaps incorrect -- that Netscape shipped its own Java
interpreter.  It certainly comes with a 725K file in
/usr/lib/netscape/java/classes/java_301.

If Netscape does require an external java interpreter I suggest the
netscape-installer .deb "Recommend" one since Netscape freezes without it.

What do I need to do to resolve this?

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |     What influenced me to atheism was
Purdue University                   |     reading the Bible cover to cover.