Re: Incoming PPP question - subnetting

Kevin Traas wrote:

>  Thanks for the reply (and the info), Jens.
>
> Here's what I'm trying to do:
>
> I've got one assigned Class C - 206.182.236.0 - which I've split using a
> netmask of 255.255.255.224.
>
> I'm using one subnet of 206.182.236.32 for my local LAN.  My Debian Linux
> box is IP .33 and acts as a DialdD server to ISP as well as modem server for
> two lines (these incoming PPP connects are in the same subnet - .32)
>
> I have another subnet for another LAN in another building (.64).  This LAN
> has an NT server that I'm using to dial into the Linux box and provide
> routing to/from this subnet.
>
> Problem is that this NT box sets up a netmask of 255.255.255.0 for the .32
> subnet that it has connected to via PPP.  From this point on, all IP traffic
> on the local subnet gets routed out the PPP connection.  (Pretty bad scene -
> we've got 100Base-TX going into 33.6Kbps...)
>
> Other than manually configuring the routing tables on the NT box, I'd like
> to configure things automatically - thus my message about setting
> netmasks....

Hmmm. What's the netmask on the ethernet interface? If it's set to
255.255.255.224 then everything should work fine even though
the NT box sets 255.255.255.224 on the PPP link. This is because the
routing algorithm chooses the route with the most matching bits (that
is, the one with the longest netmask). Let me know.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com