Re: Debian & Adaptec AHA 2840VL/2842VL

Dieter Rohlfing wrote:

> I've had a lot of trouble with the debian rescue disk and the 2940 and
> the 2842. It seems, that both are confused by the autoprobe procedure of
> the debian kernel on the rescue disk (RedHat, Caldera, Suse and
> Slackware haven't any problems with these cards).
>
> I solved my problems by compiling a specific kernel (with another
> distribution), copied it to the rescue disk und proceeded sucessfully.

This comes up *really* often, and Debian should provide a few custom
kernels for problem cases such as the Adaptec aic driver.

My custom rescue disk kernel for the Adaptec 2940/2840 is at

  ftp://ftp.phys.ocean.dal.ca/users/rhogee/Debian/
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada