Re: How should I modify the /etc/init.d/boot file?

Hi,
>>"Gonzalo" == Gonzalo A Diethelm <gonzo@ing.puc.cl> writes:

Gonzalo> I wanted to apply the Swap-Space mini HOW-TO so I could use
Gonzalo> the same swap partition on Windows (3.11 and 95) and
Gonzalo> Debian. In order to accomplish this, I had to modify the way
Gonzalo> the swap is activated (/etc/init.d/boot) and deactivated
Gonzalo> (/etc/init.d/{halt,reboot}). I ended up creating a file
Gonzalo> /etc/init.d/swap, with takes the usual parameters "start" and
Gonzalo> "stop", and modified the other files to reference it.

Gonzalo> Questions:

Gonzalo> 1. Is this the appropriate way to do this?

	I think so.

Gonzalo> 2. Did I break the Debian package system by doing this? Do
Gonzalo> any packages mess around with the files in /etc/init.d? Will
Gonzalo> these packages install properly after my modifications?

	No, since the files in question are conffiles. The packages
 will ask you on upgrade. Do not allow them to replace your
 files. Or if you do, reedit them; your changes will be saved in
 /etc/init.d/{{halt,reboot,boot}.dpkg.old.

__> egrep /etc/init.d/halt /var/lib/dpkg/info/*
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sysvinit.conffiles:/etc/init.d/halt
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sysvinit.list:/etc/init.d/halt
__> egrep /etc/init.d/.\*boot /var/lib/dpkg/info/*
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sysvinit.conffiles:/etc/init.d/boot
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sysvinit.conffiles:/etc/init.d/reboot
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sysvinit.list:/etc/init.d/boot
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sysvinit.list:/etc/init.d/reboot

Gonzalo> 3. Would this be of sufficient general interest to warrant a
Gonzalo> real bug report and have the swap setup moved to its own file
Gonzalo> in /etc/init.d?

	Hmm, well, Yes, I think, though this is more of a wishlist /
 feature request.

Gonzalo> Any suggestions?

	File a bug report, and or mail your changes to so the rest of
 us can benefit from your work (oh, BTW, thanks a lot)

	manoj

--
 Sometimes, too long is too long. Joe Crowe